Sunday, March 22, 2009

Update on the missions and our sick household

A very tired sick girl after a long weekend.

Mission travels aren't all about prayer!



















A sick Joseph asked if Jesus needed a "Tankerchief"









Why is reverance such a difficult virtue to grasp?













San Rafael Mission



























Getting ready for the trek










Saturday Mt. Diablo drive, very cold!











But very pretty! This overlooks Danville.






















Well since we told you all about our California Mission pilgrimage – visiting all the missions in California this year, we wanted to give you a little update.
We have visited:
San Jose Mission
Santa Clara Mission
San Juan Bautista Mission
Carmel Mission
San Rafael Mission

Ok we have visited a few more missions than these in our life, but since we began our little pilgrimage this year of seeing then all in 2009, this is what we have managed.

The kids love it.

This last few day’s all three have been so ill, Therese with constant fever and croup cough, the boys with cough and mild fevers. Lots of nose unpleasantries as well!
We decided to do some driving this weekend to distract the sickies since all we can do is stay at home and whineL Saturday we took a drive up Mt Diablo, a cold freezing outing, but we managed a fire and hot dogs, here are a few pic’s from that day.

Today when we woke up and got ready for Mass, Joseph pleaded, “please not the Mass, the Mission” We thought it kind of funny since there is also Mass at the mission, but we thought we would be spontaneous and try to see one of the most northern missions since it would make a good drive for sick kids. We aimed for a 10:30 Mass at San Rafael. It was so beautiful inside the church, although the ground really had nothing to view but a gift shop.

The kids were very well behaved for having been sick. Except for Therese who was burning up and all I could do was nurse her and hold her. We prayed there for a little healing, how appropriate since the Mission was really started not as a mission but as an infirmary to aid the sick neophytes who were ill at eth San Francisco mission. After so many wished to receive instruction of the faith at the infirmary it was raised to Mission status. It was the 2nd to last mission founded. The Mission was named after San Rafael the archangel, as he brought Gods healing many in the Old Testament.

We thought from San Rafael the ocean wasn’t far, we were wrong, PT Reyes was over an hour, and when we got there it had no parking and there were vicious winds so that we couldn’t get out of the car. By now we had strayed 3 hours from home! NUTS!

Well we are home now, that’s all that matters.






We enjoyed a yummy BBQ in the freezing cold California air!




























4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its been cold all over the west
this year.BC has been below norms
all winter.
Uncle Colin

Kasia said...

I love how adventurous you guys are! Very creative during sick days too. Long drives are a great way to get the kids to rest when they are feeling sick.

I wish I were more adventurous. We'd love to get out camping before it gets too hot here in the South, but when I think of the amount of food, clothes, baby paraphernalia, and camping equipment that I'd have to make sure we were bringing, I just want to roll over in bed! HA!

Cimorine said...

hahahaha! the irreverance is just being kids. It's when they're preteens, when they KNOW they have to be respectful and aren't, that's the trouble! I can just see Jesus chuckling to himself at Joseph, David, and Therese's shenanigans. :) Sorry that they're all sick! Say hi to my weetle cousins for me, and tell them I'm sending healthy thoughts their way. (I'm sick too, so I literally feel their pain) Love you!
Julia

Faith G said...

I used to go to mass at Mission San Rafael every morning.