
No I didn't get up at 1 a.m. though I had been tempted. Why? I am a Canadian by birth and now recently also an American citizen. Very proud to be both. I was kind of surprised to hear how many people thought we are silly to watch a Royal Wedding :) I can understand. It's probably hard to see its significance if you haven't been raised with it culturally. We Canucks are raised with it moderately though, not to the degree of the Brit's.
As children we poked fun at the Royalty, and of the people who were obsessed, heck all Canadians probably do it, but I guess we dig our heels in when others do it. I ask myself why, and then beyond the jokes I get it. There is more to the royalty than pomp and ceremony. There is tradition, culture and above all national pride. Something we all have in our home countries. Lets not mock it in others, it is something to be respected. If you are a lover of history as I am, you will not miss this moment and its significance. Yes it is significant. The most amazing thing is the timing of when it has occurred, so closely tied in with a different kind of feast, a heavenly one, that of John Paul II and the greatest Beatification of our times.
I felt it important to pray for Prince William and Kate. Many of us hope and pray for them as England is hurting emotionally and economically and desperately needs to believe in the bond of marriage again. Though the cultural love some have for the monarchy may not be respected by all, at least the love and prayers we have can go to this young couple. For them to be faithful to each other and God would be a huge example, and it does lead, example always does. Pray for them to be good leaders. Pray for them to be faithful in Marriage. They need our prayers desperately.
Pray for the intercession of our late Holy Father John Paul II who is to be beatified this weekend. Of course this takes precedence. But in no means does sharing joy for the Royal Wedding today take away from that. So many people I think were comparing it, some Catholics perhaps feeling the need to shun the wedding because it fell on the same weekend. I for one thought it was a beautiful thing, thinking back of course on the similar timing of the deaths of Diana and Mother Teresa. God has his reasons.
Lastly the royalty is not Hollywood. which with all its facade, easy living and immorality should be shunned much of the time. This isn't Lindsay Lohan goes to jail coverage or what Paris Hilton is wearing. I think few understand the ramifications that this kind of positive boost can have economically and morally in Europe. I think John Paul II if he were here today would most definitely been cheering them on in the hopes that they would turn the tide, perhaps even come back to Catholicism, bringing unity to the British isles. Lady Diana Spencer's mother is Catholic and Lady Diana was buried with a rosary that Mother Teresa gave her.
Regardless, I pray for Prince William and Prince Kate now Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, that they can be a witness to love in a world so in need of that witness, as our late Holy Father was. What a wonderful weekend this is, starting with the Royal wedding and now on to Mercy Sunday and the greatest Beautification of our time.
As children we poked fun at the Royalty, and of the people who were obsessed, heck all Canadians probably do it, but I guess we dig our heels in when others do it. I ask myself why, and then beyond the jokes I get it. There is more to the royalty than pomp and ceremony. There is tradition, culture and above all national pride. Something we all have in our home countries. Lets not mock it in others, it is something to be respected. If you are a lover of history as I am, you will not miss this moment and its significance. Yes it is significant. The most amazing thing is the timing of when it has occurred, so closely tied in with a different kind of feast, a heavenly one, that of John Paul II and the greatest Beatification of our times.
I felt it important to pray for Prince William and Kate. Many of us hope and pray for them as England is hurting emotionally and economically and desperately needs to believe in the bond of marriage again. Though the cultural love some have for the monarchy may not be respected by all, at least the love and prayers we have can go to this young couple. For them to be faithful to each other and God would be a huge example, and it does lead, example always does. Pray for them to be good leaders. Pray for them to be faithful in Marriage. They need our prayers desperately.
Pray for the intercession of our late Holy Father John Paul II who is to be beatified this weekend. Of course this takes precedence. But in no means does sharing joy for the Royal Wedding today take away from that. So many people I think were comparing it, some Catholics perhaps feeling the need to shun the wedding because it fell on the same weekend. I for one thought it was a beautiful thing, thinking back of course on the similar timing of the deaths of Diana and Mother Teresa. God has his reasons.
Lastly the royalty is not Hollywood. which with all its facade, easy living and immorality should be shunned much of the time. This isn't Lindsay Lohan goes to jail coverage or what Paris Hilton is wearing. I think few understand the ramifications that this kind of positive boost can have economically and morally in Europe. I think John Paul II if he were here today would most definitely been cheering them on in the hopes that they would turn the tide, perhaps even come back to Catholicism, bringing unity to the British isles. Lady Diana Spencer's mother is Catholic and Lady Diana was buried with a rosary that Mother Teresa gave her.
Regardless, I pray for Prince William and Prince Kate now Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, that they can be a witness to love in a world so in need of that witness, as our late Holy Father was. What a wonderful weekend this is, starting with the Royal wedding and now on to Mercy Sunday and the greatest Beautification of our time.



1 comment:
Awesome post, Eileen... I love your point about praying for them because of the example that they set.
Post a Comment