Monday, February 23, 2009

Make friends with your butcher

Yup that's the title, and well that probably sums up the entire post!
Week one of living lightly (ok in Lenten prep) and my new tip is indeed to make friends with your local butcher. (Glad I spell check cause that last word was actually a swear the way I wrote it first!)

I remember my parents going to speak with the butcher before shopping but myself I'm always shying away from the meat man in the back. It's not a wonder why. Fingers dripping in blood and rainboots up to their knees, not so appetizing when you are looking for um...good eats.
Well I've overcome some of my butcher fear. I'm learning to look past these short failings, including in the local Nob Hill butcher named Frank, who yes has red hot lips tattooed to his neck!

My first impression needless to say left me a little wary, but ahh, never judge a book by its cover.

When making a visit on Friday to the local meat section of Nob Hill I was on the hunt for the cheapest ground beef in town. A chub, thats right 10 lbs of beef. On sale it was 1.69 a lb. For Cali thats pretty good. Reg sale prices on Gr Beef 80 percent lean runs about 2.49 a lb. Adds up to a lot of savings when you buy bulk.

I looked pretty funny with my chub of beef slung over my right shoulder about as long as a rifle.
Looking through the rest of the meat section a second sale caught my eye for pork loin chops at about 1/3 of the regular cost if purchased again in chub style and free slicing was included.

Off I go for my first meet with the "Meat Man."

Frank let me know that his blades were dripping in bl.... no not blood, bleach, for the evening clean, I would need to wait a good 10 minites. No problem.
I came back to nicely sliced chops!

Frank then said, "look come with me, I'm going to show you around the meat section a bit. Sounds like you know how to look for a good deal, let me give you some hints."

Frank told me I should alway come to him first and he will tell me if a deal is really good or not, and if not, when he expects prices to drop. At this time rib eye in bulk was 67 dollars instead of the regular 100 dollars. MAN I WANT A FREEZER!

When I left Frank, full of joy at my big save, I looked back to wave goodbye and Frank smiled and said God Bless you Maam!

Made my day!

5 comments:

Annie said...

What a deal! I can't wait to have a home big enough to have a deep freezer in the garage. It will more than pay for itself in meat savings! And my boys like meat!

Anonymous said...

Freezers are great if you can get a good deal. Right now our garage freezer is empty and unplugged and our freezer inside is chock full. They say that those big freezers run more efficiently when they're full. So, once we're low on ground beef, we'll get another 1/4 or 1/2 beef. That's about $2/lb for all the different kinds of meat. If you can find a rancher, that's a great way to go! And the ground beef is so lean you don't drain fat off of it, just water. It's wonderful!

Jerry and Carol said...

I love your butcher story you are a crazy girl and I miss you so much.

Anonymous said...

Hope you can get a freezer soon. I don't know how I'd survive without ours and I pretty much have it full now.
Thanks for the butcher story. Yeah, I've been talking more to our local butcher too.

Faith G said...

That is really a beautiful story.