Saturday, August 16, 2008

Apartment Drama

We woke at 3 a.m. to the sounds of shreaks increasing and turning into an occasional blood curdling scream. I held Therese close while Vincent went to peak through blinds to see what the noise was about. Our bedroom windows back onto a trail. I heard one more scream that was definetly not someone joking around. Instantly my heart leaped into my throat and all I could think was that someone was being seriously hurt on the trail. I began praying intensely.

I went to the kitchen and said to Vincent, let's not mess around, call 911 immediatly. He turned to me and said "its ----" the neighbor's 7 yr old daughter outside. I was slighly relieved to discover that she was the source of the screaming, because no one was hurting her, at least it wasn't what I originally thought, a rape or murder on the trail.

Yet at the same time, Im horrified to think this precious little girl would be so terrified as to scream for many minutes at 3 a.m. outside of her house.

I ran to her, "Baby what's wrong where is Mommy? Shh, shh, aunty E is here, you're ok with me, I wont let anything happen..."

Meanwhile Im trying to piece toegther what happened.

Her Mom had a serious life threatening fall in December. She became confused on her medicine and fell from a 3rd story balcony railing at our place, trying to save a squirrel from a tree. I could only imagine what had happened now.

---- said, "do you know where my mommy is? I woke up and she was gone, she left her purse and her phone" Great I am thinking. The little girl was beyone terrified. She even pointed to the spare room with her finger shaking saying "I think she is in there but not moving" "Ahhh I thought" horror movie recap! No. No mom in there.

The dog was also gone. Ok simple explanation, neighbor who likes to smoke has woken at 3 to walk dog. But wait, daughter screaming for 5 minutes...Mom wouldn't hear? This could be bad... Where is Mom and I pray she is OK. I start to pray again sincere prayers for help.

Other neighbors came running and I quickly introduced the scenario and put them to work at walkng the grounds looking for the missing Mom/dog walker, possible drowing/squirrel victim.
Within what seemed like an eternity but what was probably only minutes, I hear Mom walking back meeting up with the other neighbors who explained what was going on. Mom came back angry with daughter for screaming and waking up neighbors. "I was walking the dog, geesh!"

Today we are tired. Its hard to sleep after an adrenaline rush. I won't say more.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I'm so glad everyone turned out to be OK. That had to be so scary! We'll be praying for that family. I hope she thinks before she takes 3am walks again!

Christina said...

What a scare! I've woken up in the middle of the night to neighbors screaming, so I completely know how absolutely terrifying that can be. Hope all is calm and quiet tonight.

Trisha Q said...

Sounds like a page out of a mystery book.

Trina said...

I would have been callling 911 too! Sounds like you dealt with a hairy situation prudently and courageously. 3 am is an odd time to walk the dog though, I must say.

Anonymous said...

I'm stressing out just reading about it!