Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Home School Day 1










Well, we can't keep them ignorant forever, though knowing us that may still be our end result!

Today was day one. Catholic Heritage Curricula is what we are using for preschool. Love it! We're pretty laid back about it as they are still young. I dont think I went to school until I was 6!

We will take it one year at a time and see what happens, we may do schooling in a classroom environment for grade school, but when they are this young we feel its really nice to be close to home.

So we thought we would load some cool pic's from today. We started with coloring the Theme of the month "I am happy when I obey" otherwise known as "I stomp and cry if Im told to obey."

No really, we are pretty happy with the lack of consternation the boys give us so far. They are busy boys but generally dont try to go against our wishes. Im sure we will have our day. Now Therese on the other hand...whew!
After coloring, a surprise box came in the mail for writer (Eileen) as its my 33rd tommorrow. Darling Vincent bought me some wireless speakers so I can finally get some decent radio in our apartment - Im so pumped to get 1260 am!!! Catholic Radio rocks!

The surprise box became the real excitement of the school day as we began to color all over it and the boys called themselves "Akitects" like Uncle Shaun, while they attempted to deconstruct and reconstruct their own private dwelling from a very small box. It had doors and windows and some stars, oh and of course a chimney that smokes!

After destroying the box and one another, I tried to be creative about how to continue the school day, while keeping any lessons light. We decided to do cooking 101 and together we made Pizza. I so have to get over myself. I have to just let the poor things be kids, and boys to boot. I'm way to controlling. God give me humility, but not all at once ok:) During the Pizza making, all that I said was "No dont touch that, ahh, James, ah er... Oh just go play blocks, Mommy will call you when its topping time." Terrible.

Finally, a sport they can enjoy, cheese and pepperoni placements!

After pizza making, I, so proud of myself and thinking the day was awesome (Thanks to Jenny's encouragement) sat down to tea to relax. Not for long. I had given James a long silicone spoon with a metal end to play with. How harmless eh? James threw it in the air, it hit Jesus on the cross and then flung into James eye.

James now has a terrible cut right along the wrinkle line of fragile skin right under the eye. It is just black and puffy. I almost posted it but thought it better to leave you only with these fun photos:)

I won't tease Monica too much, OK I will, she sat the kids this afternoon (sweet, I went for a pedi) but during their walk back from the local bridge, an already wounded James stumbled down a long paved hill, maybe he rolled like a snowball with a few good whacks along the way, I dont know. Kids tend to roll fast when coming down steep hills. I like to bring painful memories up when my sweet sister inlaw is involved, love to rattle her chain, she is pretty tough:) I like to have good razing material for ya sweets! Anyhow, James is officially beaten up!

So needless to say, day 1 of school, good for me, bad for kids. Not so great for Aunty M, but she will get over it:) Love to her and thanks for letting me have clean feet! She also knows how to season a mean burger, man she's one heck of a season queen!

Now off to birthday dreams. Im very excited, my Dad is coming tommorrow for a week from Canada. Mom sadly has to stay home and keep working:( Dad will be 65 on Friday, yeah!!!



3 comments:

Trina said...

Looks like a very fun and creative first day of school. A good way to start out. Then they will love learning!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Though, you'll probably get this belatedly. I hope you had a great day!

Anonymous said...

Later those will be the days they'll remember fondly!