Ive been musing over what to write now for several days. This blogging is hard work. What could I possibly have to say every other day? Some of you laugh, oh we know the Wiecks, and if this is E writing she will always have plenty to say!
Well, yes thats true, yet Ive found myself lost for words this week. Lost becuase Ive been pondering, perhaps living in the past a bit too much. One of the things I find sad about my wonderful home of California is that it is transitional for many people for reasons of finance and culture. Finance because you cant get an average home without spending 3/4 of a million (Bay area). Culture because the pace is unique, very fast, not so family friendly, (although there are great things to do as family and the people we have found have been truly the best) and the general quality of life can be hard to identify with.
One of our motto's when we married was that we wanted a unified family. One that knew how to spend time in relationship with one another. We hope that when our day is done we can look back and say we accomlpished that.
We feel it is essential NOT to shelter our kids from the world, good bad and ugly. However we do know that its our responsibility to form the lens with which they view it all and to ease them into it all at proper stages in their development. We dont want to shelter and yet we still need to do some protecting. Striking a harmonious balance here is an art we can only pray for. Its a pretty hefty responsibility.
For these 2 reasons of finance and culture, we see a lot of good friends leaving the Bay area, and we know that one day it may be us. This week we said goodbye to wonderful friends. It was very hard, but I think we are learning how to do it, if you can ever learn something like that.
Every mom wishes that she could have her dearest friends all living in a 1 mile radius and that they would just hang out at each others homes, alternating their days. OK NOT EVERY MOM, but this Sanguine Choleric sure loves a friend around! Well, thats what I had with this friend, a true sister, and its hard to let go of support like that when your little ones are small. Im convinced that women helping other women is a natural essential in life, as is men spending time with other men working side by side. Its how we were made and when we can tap into that, we really are a whole lot happier.
So I was bummed....boo hoo... and when Im bummed I can't write! I have a choice to make, look around and realize the blessings I have in each of you, and those that are still with us. I have a choice to be a blessing to someone else and to stop wallowing in my self pity. Perhaps some other Mom out there is waiting for me to be that friend to her. I guess when we have wee ones, we cant do much, but we can do little things with great love like Mother Teresa said.
Friday, June 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Yeah, I know how tough that can be! We have a lot of great Catholic military families in Monterey and they inevitably land out moving away and it makes it tough! But when one leaves God always seems to hear our lonely cry and send another mom friend along. So until then, hang in there. (...and keep posting. I love reading and I don't feel so far away!)
If you ever want to make the treck up to Pleasant Hill for a park day/picnic/girl time I'm game! And we're always up for an adventure in the South Bay!
Anne Richnavsky
Post a Comment